Monday, August 3, 2009

Is it me or has the world gone Bing?

Has bing just taken over the world? Does anyone else feel they are in Bing jail? Last few days- any website I have visited which needed me to look for a map or store location - the default map was bing. First off, being an avid google user, it created a wee bit of consternation to me to try and get the hang of this 'new' thing bing. Second off, the user interface is not all that great- its a bit clunky and reminiscent of mapquest. Third off, if I have to copy and paste the address in google maps in another window- its not the best use of my time.

So with all this media hype and publicity around the new deal between MSFT and yahoo, synergies, partnership in search, and all the rest- it seems like Microsoft is using its tried and tested tactics of getting in your face to rule the world. The question is will it really work this time or put people off (it is beginning to put me off)? Now granted that over the years Google has become a typical 'big corporation' and I am not too thrilled about all their practices, ethics etc- but lets face it. They have a great quality product- its reliable, its predictable, its fast and it gets the job done. Any new search engine has to be significantly better for me and other users to switch over. Seemingly the company chose the name bing since its very much verb-able. I guess thats not really a word- but you get my drift.

To conclude, it will be interesting to see how the 'search wars' will play out, I will be an interested bystander watching and probably still be googling and not binging.

No comments: